Three Laughs and Three Tears
ABU Al-Darda (may Allâh be pleased with him) said, "Three (people) make me laugh, and three make me cry.
Those that make me laugh are
1. A person who puts his hopes in this worldly life while death pursues him,
2. A person who is heedless (of his Lord) while (his Lord) is not heedless of him, and
3. A person who always laughs while he does not know whether he has pleased Allah or angered Him.
What makes me cry is being separated from my beloved:
1. Muhammad and his party (the Companions),
2. The horrors of the time of death, and
3. Standing in front of Allah on the Day when the secrets will be revealed and I do not know if I will then go to Paradise or Hell?"
– Ibn Al-Mubarak, Al-Zuhd wa Al-Raqa'iq.
Permission is granted to circulate among private individuals and groups, to post on Internet sites and to publish in full text and subject title in not-for-profit publications.