7 Tips to Improve Your Relationship with the
ARE you one of those people who rarely touch the ? Or do you read daily, but don't find it is having the impact on you that it should? Whatever the case may be, these are some simple tips that can help you connect with the .
1. Before you touch it, check your heart. The key to really benefiting from the is to check your heart first, before you even touch Allah's Book. Ask yourself, honestly, why you are reading it. Is it to just get some information and to let it drift away from you later? Remember that the (peace be upon him) was described by his wife as a "walking ": in other words, he didn't just read and recite the , he lived it.
2. Do your Wudu (ablution). Doing your Wudu is good physical and mental preparation to remind you that you're not reading just another book. You are about to interact with God, so being clean should be a priority when communicating with Him.
3. Read at least 5 minutes everyday. Too often, we think we should read for at least one whole hour. If you aren't in the habit of reading regularly, this is too much. Start off with just five minutes daily. If you took care of step one, Insha Allah (God willing), you will notice that those five minutes will become 10, then half an hour, then an hour, and maybe even more!
4. Make sure you understand what you've read. Five minutes of reading the in Arabic is good, but you need to understand what you're reading. Make sure you have a good translation of the in the language you understand best. Always try to read the translation of what you've read that day.
5. Remember, the is more interactive than a CD. In an age of "interactive" CD-Roms and computer programs, a number of people think books are passive and boring. But the is not like that. Remember that when you read the , you are interacting with Allah. He is talking to you, so pay attention.
6. Don't just read; listen too. There are now many audio cassettes and CDs of the , a number of them with translations as well. This is great to put on your walkman or your car's CD or stereo as you drive to and from work. Use this in addition to your daily reading, not as a replacement for it.
7. Make Dua (supplication) . Ask Allah to guide you when you read the . Your aim is to sincerely, for the love of Allah, interact with Him by reading, understanding and applying His blessed words. Making Dua to Allah for help and guidance will be your best tool for doing this.