Guidance from The Prophet (saws)
Hadrat Abdullah bin Abbas (r.a.) reported: ‘The Messenger of Allah (saws) said that Allah, the Exalted and Glorious, Said: "He who intends to do a good deed but he does not do it, then Allah records it for him as a full good deed, but if he carries out his intention, then Allah the Exalted, writes it down for him as from ten to seven hundred folds, and even more. But if he intends to do an evil act and has not done it, then Allah writes it down with Him as a full good deed, but if he intends it and has done it, Allah writes it down as one bad deed"’.
Related by Al-Bukhari and Muslim.
This is how the system of accounts works in the Presence of the Lord Most Gracious Infinitely Merciful:
1. If one merely intends to do a good deed, but does not or is unable to do it; The Lord Most Gracious records a full good deed in one’s ‘Book of Records’.
2. If one actually does the good deed intended, the Lord Most Gracious records the deed from ten to seven-hundred times.
3. If one intends to do an evil deed, nothing is recorded in one’s ‘Book of Records’.
4. If one intends to do an evil deed, and for the fear of Allah does not do it, a full good deed is recorded in one’s ‘Book of Records’.
5. If one does the evil deed intended, one evil deed is recorded.