1. Wake up in the last third of the night to beg forgiveness from Allah.
“...and those who pray and beg Allah’s Pardon in the last hours of the night.” (Qur’an, 3:17)
2. At least once in a while, seclude yourself from people in order to contemplate.
“Those who remember Allah standing, sitting, and lying down on their sides, and think deeply about the creation of the heavens and the earth...” (Qur’an, 3:191)
3. Stay in the company of the righteous.
“And keep yourself patiently with those who call on their Lord...” (Qur’an, 18:28)
4. Remember Allah often.
“Remember Allah with much remembrance.” (Qur’an, 33:41)
5. Pray two units of prayer with sincerity and devotion.?
“Those who offer their prayer with all solemnity and full submissiveness.”(Qur’an, 23:2)
6. Recite the Qur’an with understanding and reflection.
“Do they not then consider the Qur’an carefully?” (Qur ‘an, 4:82)
7. Fast on a hot, dry day.
“He abandons his food, drink, and desire — all for Me.”
8. Give charity secretly.
“Until the left hand doesn’t know what the right hand has spent.”
9. Provide relief and aid to the afflicted Muslim.
“Whoever gives relief to a Muslim from one of the vicissitudes of this life, Allah will relieve him from a calamity that is from doing the calamities of the Day of Judgment.”
10. Be as abstemious and abstinent as possible in this fleeting world.?
“The Hereafter is better and more lasting.” (Qur’an 87: 17)
– Excerpt from ‘Don’t Be Sad, IIPH
Permission is granted to circulate among private individuals and groups, to post on Internet sites and to publish in full text and subject title in not-for-profit publications.